Saturday, May 25, 2013

What do you stand for?

Dear Educator Beat Readers,
Many apologies as it has been almost two months since my last blog post! Time has gotten away from me these last few weeks. As many educators out there know, the spring is always riddled with parent meetings, annual reviews, last minute evaluations, and much, much more. For me, this spring has been one of inner turmoil. I have seen some of the best educators left feeling disheartened (including myself) at the new teacher evaluation system. Earlier this week, I actually saw a very brave and passionate educator announce her resignation from her teaching position on You Tube! All of my conversations over the last month and watching the You Tube video, have made me sad. I too, have seen over the course of my years as an educator seen the shift from positive, school climates to school climates that are cold and robotic. It saddens me as I went into education thinking that I would be able to make a difference.



What I realized through all of this, is that I still CAN make a difference. However, it is not as a teacher. It is as an administrator. Administration?? Are you crazy? might be the response that you are thinking as you read this. But I have been doing some soul searching and surrounding myself with some very positive and insightful educators. I realized that my classroom has changed. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching students! I love the smiles they have when they walk into my classroom, the amazement in their eyes when they grasp that hard to reach concept.  With that all that being said, there is something missing to me. I love working with other teachers, helping to develop amazing lessons, problem solving for kids, collecting data and analyzing it,  and making lifelong connections with families.  I love the amazing collegiality that I have formed with many of my colleagues. I realized that at the core of my being, there are three things I stand for as a future administrator:

  • Educating the Whole Child
  • Engagement of staff/colleagues and children
  • Creating a community of care and well-being

I realized that I am proud to continue to be an educator and no matter what happens, I will always stand up for the underdog. I will keep fighting the fight through unfair judgements, unfair business decisions, and budget cuts! I will continue to fight for kids and be the voice to advocate for relevant professional development, heartfelt relationships among staff,  and taking care of one another. I don't ever want to be the educator that is bitter and show it to my colleagues. What do you stand for? Have you made a promise to yourself? It's never too late to think about what you stand for?

I included a couple different inspiring videos that I like to watch when I feel the need to get inspired!
Another one of my favorites! Kid President!!

No comments:

Post a Comment