Sunday, November 3, 2013

Surviving the first months in educational leadership

Hi Everyone,
It has been a busy school year. I have been absent from the blogging world for quite a while. I have taken the plunge into leadership and taken on a new role. I left my safety net of my school district where I spent years honing my craft as an educator. While I won't disclose my new location of where I work, but I will just say that I have walked into a job and I was completely naive about what I thought the role of an administrator was. I knew I was going to have to make tough decisions, but I never thought I was going to be in a position where I was making tough decisions every second of every single day of my day. I knew the hours were going to be long, but I didn't know they were going to be this long. I went from working 12 hours a day once a week, to working 12-15 hours daily. I have cried tears of sadness, angst, and jumped for joy all in the same day. I don't even know where to begin?

I am learning the value of mentors. I am so incredibly lucky that I have been able to pick up the phone and call mentors who walk this life and have the experience that I am learning. One thing that I have learned is that I am finding my own way. I am finding ways that works for me. I want to try to get to the root of problems, not just brush the problem away by a consequence.

Partnership is so important. I have an amazing partnership with my other admin team. They are my rocks! I couldn't do this job without their support and help!

What have I learned in the last few months:
1. You think you know what to expect, but it is never as it seems
2. Everyday is completely different
3. Rest up over the summer, you will need it once school starts
4. There are decisions that you make daily that people will not like or even respect. How you handle their criticism is how others will judge your character
5. You are always on display, so remember to be positive and encouraging

No comments:

Post a Comment